The movement toward a Sacred Earth Community is growing! We’re excited to invite you to three special events this month (two online) about spirit, story, and conversation. Each is a result of a collaboration among faith and spiritual communities, framed by David’s recent essay for YES! Magazine, “Religion, Science, and Spirit: A Sacred Story for Our Time.”
- June 16 – A public conversation led by David and Rev. Stephen Phelps – “Sacred Earth Community Narrative for the 21st Century” – at the historic Riverside Church in NYC.
- June 18 – The launch of a new live, interactive online video conversation series with the Pachamama Alliance, featuring David, Konda Mason – and you – “Exploring Sacred Activism.”
- June 23 – A live event at Trinity Church in NYC, and video webcast, with the Contemplative Alliance – “Sacred Earth Community: A Spiritual Narrative for the 21st Century.” A panel conversation with David, Barbara Marx Hubbard, and three interfaith leaders will be followed by conversations among people gathered at Trinity and groups viewing the webcast around the country (and the world).
These events, each unique in format and presentation – and free – are in response to the growing public interest in becoming more aware of our own stories, revealing the stories of current institutions of power, and coming together around a unifying Sacred Earth Community story that honors life.
Please see details below, share widely, and join us!
Thank you, for your work in the world.
Outreach and Communication
Living Economies Forum
Sunday, June 16
490 Riverside Drive, NYC
10:45am – Worship Service. Sermon by Senior Minister Rev. Stephen Phelps – “One For All.” (David will make a few brief remarks.)
3:00 – 4:30pm – “Sacred Earth Community: A Spiritual Narrative for the 21st Century”
Room 411 – Martin Luther King Building
Based on David’s new article, “A Sacred Story for Our Time,” he and Rev. Phelps will engage participants in an intimate conversation, exploring the themes of a unifying spiritual narrative grounded in the insights of the world’s great religious traditions and addressing the critical challenges facing our nation.
Tuesday, June 18
Pachamama Alliance Live Video Event
In this free, live, interactive video experience (your questions, comments, and tweets will be part of it), David and moderator, Konda Mason, will explore critical distinctions between old stories that are no longer serving us, new stories that are emerging to guide us toward a new paradigm, and the implications of each in sacred activism.” In the spirit of a book club, participants are asked to read David’s essay prior to the event, “Religion, Science, and Spirit: A Sacred Story for Our Time.”
To register and for more information…CLICK HERE
Sunday, June 23
Trinity Church (and via webcast)
Broadway at Wall Street, NYC
2:00pm – 4:00pm(EDT)
“Sacred Earth Community: A Spiritual Narrative for the 21st Century”
Trinity Wall Street, in collaboration with the Contemplative Alliance, hosts an interfaith conversation with David Korten, Barbara Marx Hubbard, Acharya Judith Lief, Rabbi Arthur Waskow, and The Rev. Richard Cizik. They will explore how our sacred stories influence our ability to live with one another and nature as a peaceful, creative, just, and sustainable Earth Community and consider the implications of a unifying spiritual narrative grounded in the sacredness of Earth.
Attend in person at Trinity or view online. While you are welcome to view from your personal computer, we encourage you to sign up as a Partner and gather a group (your faith/spiritual community, an interfaith circle, or a book group), view the webcast together, and engage in a conversation following the program. (A guide for a lightly facilitated discussion will be provided.)
As a preview of the rich conversations that await, Trinity has posted three five-minute videos, with David, Rev. Diane Berks of the One Spirit Learning Alliance, and Father Michael Holleran, who is both a Roman Catholic priest and a Zen Buddhist sensei.
To register to attend in person, online, or as a Partner, and for more information…CLICK HERE
Links of Note
- David wrote “Religion, Science, and Spirit: A Sacred Story for Our Time” for YES! Magazine, including his personal story about events and encounters that led to the writing of the essay, insights from friends and colleagues along the way, and questions that might be useful in guiding a conversation on “Sacred Story.” (This essay is included among the many resources on a beautiful website, Spiritual Ecology, created by Llewellyn Vaughn-Lee, author of Spiritual Ecology: The Cry of the Earth.)
- David talks about “Walking Away from the King” in this extra clip from the documentary, “Money & Life.” (This feature-length film is now available to watch and download, free, under a Creative Commons license, with an invitation to gift back according to your means and values – a very “new economy” approach.)
- Congratulations to the whole team at YES! Magazine for receiving the 2013 Utne Media Award for General Excellence!
- For breaking news and updates, follow us on Facebook (David Korten and Kat Gjovik) and on Twitter (@dkorten and @katgjovik).
“A human being is part of the whole called by us “the universe,” a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separate from the rest – a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening the circle of understanding and compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”